Thank you—and see you for the 2020 World Paddling Film Festival!
Thanks to everyone who joined for the first-ever-in-Japan Paddling Film Festival. Not a huge crowd, but some great paddlers and some really positive feedback. The films were really interesting, even for non-paddlers. In fact, the most popular film, Junk Paddle, was more about the importance of wood in our lives, and people's interaction with nature.
Hope to see you early next summer for the 2020 Festival! Keep watching here for more news (and you can always contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
if you have questions or comments. Be sure to check our Facebook page
BOA repairs at Dancing Snow
See us if you need a new wire!
The BOA closure system found on snowboard boots, our Tubbs snowshoes, boots, golf shoes, running shoes and a whole lot more is a tough, clever way to get tightly into your footwear.
The wires can break (apparently the twist unit can get bashed to death by some of you mad tree bouncers)—although it doesn't happen that often. If it does, just come by Dancing Snow. We've been trained, we have the parts (which are free), and we can get you back in pristine form and ready to head back out on the hill. The labor will be affordable, too—just buy a beer and relax while we rethread the wires! (or a coffee, or a new BCA avalanche transceiver. We aren't fussy). Let us know if we can help!
Lots of fun stuff for the snow
Dancing Snow is here to guide you up into the mountains, but we're also ready with a variety fo things you'll need to be safe and have fun when you're traveling in the hills:
Topographic maps of the area, with English key (above; so you know which hill is which!)
BCA snow safety gear: beacons, shovels, probes, airbags
K2 skis, poles, boots
K2 goggles—now 30% off!
Fits ski and hiking socks
Ultra-light Blue Ice ski-use harnesses
Myoko-original items from Maruni Jeans
Get your new skis!
Ready for some new skis just right for the Myoko snows?
You can get those shiny new boards
right here at Dancing Snow!
We can get you set up with all the skis from K2 and Line, put on the bindings of your choice, get them waxed and ready and hold them here for you until you come to visit! We can also ship around Japan as well.
And, if you like, we can also store your skis right here in Myoko for you over the summer. We’ll put on a thick summer wax to protect the edges and bases, store them, then have them ready for the coming season. Just contact us at email@example.com
if you'd like more information, or want to place an order.
We also carry the full line of BCA snow safety equipment, K2 and BCA poles, helmets, skins, Tubbs snowshoes, and some fun Myoko-original clothing and goods in our center.
Join us in Myoko!
Dancing Snow has something for every adventurer, from hiking in the woods for complete beginners, to big descents from area peaks.
You don't have to be an expert skier to enjoy your own backcountry adventure with Dancing Snow!
Backcountry doesn't necessarily mean the ultra-steep slopes and narrow chutes of ski videos; if you're ready to have fun in the snow, we have something for you (and there are some steep and challenging runs out there, too!). In fact, we really enjoy giving people their first experience in the backcountry.
Start by sending us an email about what you'd like to do
; we'll do our best to arrange a program to make it happen.
Tell us a bit about your experience, and what you'd like to do. Please let us know at least a few days in advance, so we can arrange everything needed, and get together people with similar interests and skills. Also, we keep our tour groups small for both safety and more fun.
What we do
- Our main activity is tours to the many local peaks, for those who have experience in the backcountry, or have good powder/tree skiing experience and want to go all the way to the top. Please note that we don't do sidecountry touring, or skiing directly off the lifts. Climbing is too much fun, and you often the hill almost entirely to yourself.
Snowshoe and ski hiking
- Snowshoeing is a great way to enjoy the beatuiful Myoko backcountry, even for first-time explorers. A stroll through the snowy woods, hot lunch on a snow table (even a little wine for those who wish). HIking on light telemark skis also available.
- Introduction to avalanche thinking: our CAA Level 1-certified guide can get you thinking about what it means to go into the backcountry, give you some basic tools and approaches, and get you used to using your "avy eyes" before you head off into untouched snow. The backcountry is great, but your knowledge of the risks is key.
- BCA Beacon Park: come and practice your avalanche skills on this unique, realistic facility.
- Especailly in spring, we head out into the Myoko backcountry, and to places like Tateyama, Oze and even Mt. Fuji. We'll have some of these listed on our tour schedule, and we'd be happy to tailor-make or suggest a tour for you and your group.
Spring to autumn
Hiking and trekking
- Hiking on area trails
- Climbing to local peaks
- Overnight climbs, with stays at mountain huts
- First experience on Lake Nojiri, or on the Sea of Japan (depending on waves, wind)
- Day tour: exploring the rock gardens and caves of the Sea of Japan coast
- Multi-day tours: Awashima Island, Sado Island, Noto Peninsula, Wakasa Bay, etc.
Wind, waves and more
Visit us on Facebook